Division III Rewind
Following is a summary of Division III news from the week of November 17-21.
• Methodist has been selected to host the 2009 Division III Men’s and Women’s Golf Championships. It is the first time one institution will host the men’s and women’s finals at the same location. The four-day event will be May 13-16 at the PGA Village in Port St. Lucie, Florida.
• Hank Janczyk of Gettysburg will receive the Howdy Myers Man of the Year Award and Dickinson’s David Webster will receive the Frenchy Julien Service Award from the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association, in recognition of contributions to the sport.
• A hotel fire forced members of the Westfield State men’s basketball team to abandon playing gear and open play in the Plattsburgh State Cardinal Classic wearing shoes purchased from a local sporting goods store and practice uniforms, but the Owls won the tournament.
• A Drew swimmer who has Type 1 diabetes invited Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr. to campus for a swim-a-thon and clinic that raised nearly $10,000 for diabetes research.
• There was competition in six Division III championships last weekend, and teams advanced in four of those events to finals slated for this weekend.
© 2010 The National Collegiate Athletic Association