Division III Rewind
Following is a summary of Division III news from the week of December 15-19.
• Division III’s annual Q&A document addressing 12 legislative proposals due for consideration at the 2009 Convention is available online as another tool to help delegates prepare for voting.
• Empire 8 Commissioner Chuck Mitrano is chairing an effort to encourage NCAA member conferences and institutions to sign up as partners for the 2009 National Sportsmanship Day. “I think it would be most appropriate to have an overwhelming number of DIII institutions sign on, considering our leadership role with sportsmanship,” said Mitrano, referring to programs such as the Division III Commissioners’ Association’s “Be Loud, Be Proud, Be Positive” campaign.
• More than 120 coaches, institutional administrators, athletic trainers and other institutional staff members delved into Division III rules with help from an NCAA membership services staff member during a recent seminar hosted by the Capital Athletic Conference.
• St. Norbert trustee Donald J. Schneider and his wife are providing the lead $4 million gift in a continuing campaign to build a new athletics complex at the Wisconsin school.
• Nominations are being solicited for a vacancy for a Division III coach on the NCAA Football Rules Committee.
© 2010 The National Collegiate Athletic Association