Six nominated for Management Council service
Six vacancies on the Division III Management Council will be filled when delegates to the NCAA Convention elect new members January 17.
Delegates will be asked to elect the six nominees to four-year Council terms during the Division III business session at the Convention in Washington, D.C. The nominees include four directors of athletics, one conference commissioner and one faculty athletics representative.
The nominees are:
• Kathryn A. “Kitty” Baldridge, faculty athletics representative at Gallaudet. Baldridge, an associate professor and director of general studies at Gallaudet, led the school’s women’s basketball team to 334 victories and two NCAA tournament appearances before stepping down from coaching in 2006.
• William Klika, director of athletics at Fairleigh Dickinson-Florham. Klika, who founded the school’s football program and twice served as the team’s coach, has been athletics director since 1989. He is a former chair of the Division III Football Committee.
• Fredina Ingold, director of athletics at Penn State-Altoona. Ingold, who is president-elect of the Eastern College Athletic Conference, has served in various administrative capacities at Penn State-Altoona during more than 30 years at the school. She also has coached women’s basketball and tennis and men’s and women’s swimming.
• Chris Martin, commissioner of the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin. Martin became the CCIW’s first full-time commissioner in 2002 after serving on the NCAA membership services staff as Division III governance liaison. He is a former member of the Division III Membership Committee and currently is vice president of the Division III Commissioners’ Association.
• Jeff Martinez, director of athletics at Redlands. Martinez, who has served for the past two years as chair of the Division III Championships Committee, has directed the athletics and physical education program at Redlands since 2000 and also has been head athletic trainer at the school.
• Charlyn Robert, director of athletics at Nichols. Robert, who recently was honored as an ECAC administrator of the year, has directed the Nichols athletics program since 1998. The former Union (New York) field hockey coach has chaired the Division III Field Hockey Committee and currently serves on the Division III Women’s Lacrosse Committee.
The Council also will welcome a seventh new member, Mary Jo Gunning of Marywood, who was appointed to fill the unexpired term of USA South Athletic Conference Commissioner Rita Wiggs. Gunning returns for her second term on the Council, after serving from 1995 to 1999. She is in her 19th years as director of athletics and recreation at Marywood.
The Division III Administrative Committee also recently extended ECAC Commissioner Rudy Keeling’s term for one year, until the 2010 Convention.
The Division III Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, which is represented by two members of the Management Council, recently selected Isaac Stein, a tennis student-athlete at Washington-Saint Louis, to serve on the Council. Stein joins Ashley Snell from Rivier as SAAC representatives.
© 2010 The National Collegiate Athletic Association