Propelled by a pair of perfect scores from Courtney Kupets, Georgia’s GymDogs captured their fifth consecutive and 10th overall National Collegiate Gymnastics Championships team title on April 17. Kupets also won the individual all-round title.
After the first two rotations, Georgia and Utah were locked in a tie for the lead at 98.625. But the GymDogs’ scores on floor and vault (including one of Kupets’ perfect 10s) were untouchable. Every Georgia competitor scored at least a 9.90 on floor, finishing with a 49.575 team score on the event. The GymDogs did even better on vault. Kupets earned a perfect score and teammates Tiffany Tolnay and Kathryn Ding added 9.95s to tally a 49.625, guaranteeing team victory.
“This is a magical team,” said head coach Suzanne Yoculan. “We have talked about this so many times. The unity, the cohesiveness. It really is a magical team. They have so much fortitude and love and passion for the sport. They never quit. Just like all GymDog teams, they never quit. I am so proud of them.”
The victory was Yoculan’s 10th title in her 26 years with the program. She had announced she was retiring at the end of the season.
“It was something special that we all wanted to do for Suzanne to remember. It wasn't just a championship, it was an amazing championship. It couldn't get better than this,” said junior Grace Taylor.
Alabama edged Utah in the race for second, buoyed by strong performances from Morgan Dennis, Geralen Stack-Eaton and Ashley Priess on floor. The Crimson Tide finished just .15 ahead of the Utes. Florida finished fourth, Arkansas fifth and LSU took sixth.
1. Georgia, 197.825; 2. Alabama, 197.575; 3. Utah, 197.425; 4. Florida, 196.725; 5. Arkansas, 196.475; 6. LSU, 196.375.
Individual event results
1. Ashleigh Clare-Kearney, LSU, 9.900; 2. Susan Jackson, LSU, 9.8938; 3. (tie) Courtney Kupets, Georgia, and Kristina Baskett, Utah, 9.8563; 5. Michelle Stout, Arkansas, 9.83675; 6. Jessica Lopez, Denver, 9.8313.
Uneven parallel bars
1. Courtney Kupets, Georgia, 9.950; 2. Carly Janiga, Stanford, 9.9125; 3. (tie) Alicia Goodwin, Florida, and Kristina Baskett, Utah, 9.900; 5. (tie) Kathryn Ding, Georgia, and Anriana Berlin, UCLA, 9.8875.
1. Courtney Kupets, Georgia, 9.9875; 2. Courtney McCool, Georgia, 9.950; 3. (tie) Ashley Priess, Alabama; Sarah Nagashima, Arkansas; and Kristna Baskett, Utah, 9.900; 6. Elise Wheeler, Sourthern Utah, 9.8750.
1. (tie) Courtney Kupets, Georgia, and Ashleigh Clare-Kearney, LSU, 9.950; 3. Corey Hartung, Florida, 9.900; 4. Brandi Personett, Penn St., 9.8875; 5. Daria Bijak, Utah, 9.8750; 6. Mandi Rodriguez, Oregon St., and Vanessa Zamarripa, UCLA, 9.8625.
© 2010 The National Collegiate Athletic Association